Friday, August 24, 2007


Yes the goons, they were listened to on radio by my parents and 2 eldest brothers before television in new zealand, the beatles, or me. The NZBC; New Zealand Broadcasting Corporation played them more or less continually in an ever-shifting weekly slot for years, later joined by (not replaced by! this was Soviet era NZ) the radio show of the hitch-hikers guide to the universe (the funniest format it was ever presented in - the books are good but all the movie & TV show are poo). One Christmas when we were still a family of 4 with me as the youngest... or was there a baby? someone was given a book of the goon show scripts, it may have been one of the best gifts ever, I still remember a line: Eccles! how dare you get up after I've tucked you in and beaten you unconscious for the night?
Oh well, I should have kept up with my cohort professionally. I work with children who reminisce about transformers and turtles. Never heard of Gilligan most of them! Or at least I will work with them on tuesday when I go back to work for two four-day weeks.

4 comments:

The Real Bridget Jones said...

Aren't memories like that the best..... I remember listening to Radio Luxemburg on the drive home from my grandparents and I was convinced that I was listening to some historical re-run. It all sounded so old fashioned and quaint. Apparently it was live though...
Smiles
Bridget
xxxx

Anonymous said...

Everything going ok Stagger?

Yanno, its SO cheap to fly from here to NZ....SO cheap.... I been looking.... not that I am going to go on a trip, but why is it so cheap? I can go to NZ all fares paid and 10 days with a motor home for around $545.00...thats way cheap!

But its not warm enough there for me, give me a tropical island, coconut milk (in the form of a cocktail) and warm water and....well....of course my Master to ....groans.....

I have to get my head out of my knickers.

Hope all is going okay.

Cheers
rosie
xxxx

The Real Bridget Jones said...

Checks in to make sure he is ok....

xxxx

Anonymous said...

Checking in again....

Hugs
rosie
xxxx